The church, which officially opened in October 1907, was built in the “authentic Russian style of the 17th century”. The parameter of the lighting project was: the faithful rendering of the church's volumes, articulated architectural composition, polychromous decorations and large golden surfaces. The bell tower, which stands over the Crucifixion Chapel, rises on the exact spot where Tsar Alexander II the “Liberator”, loved by his people, was killed in 1881. Dynamic and pulsating interior lighting marks the presence of the site in the nightscape and the 1881 event, suggestive of a vital presence and of a faint, gentle breathing rhythm. Metal halide light bulbs with ceramic burners were chosen to ensure color rendition, lifespan, efficiency, visual comfort, pleasantness and system reliability. Structures holding several fixtures were installed on poles in the park opposite and positioned on the roofing of adjacent buildings, hidden from sight. Projector lamps with controlled optics and glass diffusers cast a "biscuit" light beam for direct lighting and for compositions of beams onto the surfaces of the temple without light dispersion and with a delicate chiaroscuro effect. The colored and golden majolica domes sparkle. Dedicated fixtures light the entrances and the tabernacle that overlooks the canal and represents Christ on the cross.
Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood
General exterior lighting
w/ Lensvet, iGuzzini
Photo: G. Basilico