Standing on high ground alongside the cathedral and above the town square at a height of 67 meters, the ancient Bell Tower of St. Mark (built in 1347) is the city’s tallest building. It is a landmark and a symbol of the city, visible from every part of it. The goal was to reshape its nocturnal impact, making it as visible by night as it is during the day, using a permanent lighting system that bathes the entire bell tower in uniform lighting of medium brightness while avoiding the shadows typical of oblique vertical lighting. In order to achieve this goal, a set of lighting fixtures was positioned out-of-sight on the roof of the building opposite the church. The Maxi Woody projector lamps employed for this installation use refractors to create a "blade-like" distribution of luminous flux, favoring illumination across the vertical surfaces. The overlapping of bands of light beams from a number of these fixtures has allowed for good, uniform lighting and for the control of light pollution in the surrounding environment.