Erected in the 16th century at the edge of Castello a Mare in the heart of the historic centre, this patrician building has undergone various changes throughout the centuries. Bombed in 1943 and purchased in 2005 by the Fondazione Banco di Sicilia, it was then reopened to the public as an important cultural centre. The restoration work brought life and exquisite beauty back to the building, creating suitable interior spaces for various uses: a library, an auditorium, restaurants and rooms housing collections of archaeological finds, majolica, coins and sculptures. Architectural spaces – such as the main courtyard and the stable –, which had lost their original functions over time, have now been reinstated. The lighting project covered various spaces to assist in carrying out day-to-day activities involving different visual tasks. The devices used in the project are of minimal encumbrance, with controlled optics, and are sometimes custom-made. They have been installed in the walls or floors and specially-oriented for diffused or spot lighting. Fitted with halogen sources providing excellent colour rendition and even colour temperature, they give optimum flexibility to the space, while not jeopardizing the perishability of the works and collections on display.