The building originated as the seat of the Calatino Senate in 1483. Throughout the centuries, its architecture, style, and purpose underwent various transformations. In the 1950s, the building was completely modified, giving rise to the current art gallery structure with exhibition spaces— the Luigi Sturzo Gallery. The lighting required special attention; not wanting to add additional elements to the pre-existing structures, the light sources were built into the architectural details. The architecture itself became the lighting device. Projectors were inserted into the window compartment to light the ceiling, while indirect light fixtures were installed above the stylized capitals of the columns. The existing vintage bronze suspension lamps were kept.